Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Poem

Now we may not be the same
But I feel humans are always to blame
The times have change, we both know that
Though I’m sure there is still prayer
You were sad and I was strong
Human emotions gone so wrong

Like a balloon it fills up inside
I’m sorry it caused you to die
You should have let it out and let leave
Instead it became all you believed
Those human emotions sure are strong
Guilt, greed, sinning, longing have always found a way to belong
It crept inside and your body became it’s cave
To your own emotions you were a slave

If death was your only solution
Peace of mind must have forced you into execution.
Now lay and rest with your new found tranquility
I am here still trying to find sensibility.

As my piece of art I decided to make a poem identifying the sadness and misery many of those in the Confessional Poetry Movement felt. Many were driven insane by their personal lives and I feel my poem is a small tribute to all the dark feelings they harbored. Although, I used a simple rhyming pattern which only a few poets in the movement used, I found it somewhat simple and almost as a conversation. I want the poem to be me reassuring the poets that if their illness drove them to death, I hope they have found peace. I hope that they are not the confused poets writing autobiographical poems anymore. This is not a promotion to suicide, but an understanding of how art and life drove them mad.

No comments: